Friday, January 13, 2017

Rational Deductive Reasoning

Across the street from my office
where the sports store used to be
they still have the sign up
isn't someone supposed to be in charge of that?
it can't stay up forever
it's confusing to the unsuspecting
but fortunately for me
I was there before the end
it used to be a nice place
a pleasant shopkeeper with fair price
until it didn't turn a profit
and he sold it to some schmuck
I heard his mom fronted the cash
but he worked there awhile
with his dog guarding the place
he put a gate up so it wouldn't leave
and didn't think that would turn off customers
he wasn't the brightest star
but he needed old baseball gloves
I had a bunch from glory days
and I became his friend
all the golf clubs I could swing
and I didn't even play the game
but it was fun all the same
to see the thing disappear
until you clear one over the net
and hope nobody saw you
but this man who ran the shop
one outside one day with a hammer
I stop by to say hello
and am I asked if I own a crowbar
he tells me the door is locked
his keys are inside with his dog
it won't open the damn door he says
I try to contain my amusement
apologetically I tread on
until the next day in the paper
it seems he's not exactly the type
you'd expect to run a sports store
so he's in jail for heroin
they found it on him at 3 am.
and then I finally realize
it wasn't a sports store at all.
///////////////
a few months pass
it's winter now
it's been a frozen hell for weeks
on my way to the office
I'm decelerating towards the mobil station
and there he is in front of me
jay walking an unleashed dog
he's yelling at this dog to keep moving
but it isn't the same dog
that he had in the shop
so many questions
consumed me for days
until I figured the dog
probably got tired
of dealing with a heroin addict.

No comments: