Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Excerpts From "The Life And Love of A Robot"

Excerpts from "The Life And Love of A Robot", my novel based on me being turned into a robot but still being able to feel emotions.



Pg. 3.

The operation was a success! I throw my claws into the air and let out a delighted scream. I turn to my creator, and father, and we share a moment of complete happiness, which I can feel even though I am a robot. I spend the entire day learning how to control my functions, and how to change my oil. It sure is complicated being a robot.



Pg. 12.

I'm getting pretty used to being a robot, but there is something missing in my life. I have several friends, both robot and human, but that does not seem to be enough. It seems like there is something missing, could it be love?


Pg. 24.

I see her standing there. She is muttering amongst her friends. It looks as though she is working up her nerve. She takes a deep breath and then walks up to me with curiosity. I meet her gaze, and for a moment we do not look away. It is clear there is a connection between us. Could it be love at first sight? Perhaps, but what do I know, except for computing? I am but only a robot.



Pg. 36.

I pick her up at her place and we go to dinner. At first, she seems startled that I do not order anything to eat, but then I tell her I do not need food. I am a robot, after all. I spend the entire evening analyzing her beauty. I tell her she looks more beautiful than the most intricate of circuitry and she blushes. She tells me I look really complicated and technological, and if I had blood and cheeks, I would have blushed too. After dinner I drive her home and walk her to her door. Standing there on the porch, I lean in and kiss her with my cold, metal lips. At first, she doesn't quite know what to do, but then she kisses me back. At that moment, I knew. I may be a robot, but I am still in love.



Pg. 58.

We are happiest couple in the galaxy. We do everything together. Whether it is soldering my processor or rewiring my components, we do it together. I think that I am going to ask her to marry me, but she still seems a little bothered by the fact that I have no heart or soul. I keep telling her that it doesn't matter, but I think it does, to her.


Pg. 129.

She looked at me sadly as she spoke the words. If I had a heart, it would have been broken. She was a human and I was a robot, but I can still feel pain. She had just told me it was over. She said it was too hard for her, being with a robot. I tried to grab her hand with my metal claw and I must have clutched her tiny, human hand too tightly. The next thing I know, she is screaming and an ambulance is taking her to the hospital. While I stand on the street corner, I am overcome with sadness. If I had eyes, they would be crying. I may be a robot, but I can still hurt.


Pg. 158.

I do not know what to do. I try solving difficult math equations, but it does not ease the pain. If I had any doubt that robots could be depressed, it is gone. This pain is too much to take. I get little joy out of things which used to make me feel overwhelmingly happy. It seems like everything reminds me of her.


Pg. 177.

"No! Don't do it!" shouts my father, and creator. He is trying to coax me into not doing what I have to do. I am clutching a claw-full of wires, ready to pull. I tell him that I cannot live in a world without love. Then he tells me that my feelings are not real. I tell him he is lying, but he continues. "Your feelings are artificial! Inside of your chest plate is a state of the art feelingmaker 2.0.!" I cannot believe what he is telling me. I still am not convinced, and this only drives me further. I whisper "I love you..." as I rip the wires out, rendering me powerless. I may be a robot, but I can still commit suicide.

No comments: